Have you just spent the last 20 minutes scrolling social media instead of cleaning up the kitchen? Maybe you grabbed your phone to check the weather or pay a few bills and without even realizing it, here you are reading my post instead. Now you’re staring at the screen trying to remember what the heck you wanted to look at! (Happens to me All. The. Time.)
Are there things you want to accomplish, but just can’t seem to get started? Tell me, what are you procrastinating getting done right now?
Everyone procrastinates from time to time. It’s when it becomes a habit that we get into trouble. It steals our energy, our joy, and our passion! This year, it is my mission to be more intentional with my time. I have crazy big personal goals to achieve, and if I allow my procrastination to control me, I’ll never-ever get there! So I started brainstorming some ideas to catch myself in the moment and break the procrastination habit. And I thought I would share in case you find yourself in the same boat.
Did you know there are 3 main types of procrastinators?
The first are those that are looking for the adrenaline rush. They wait for the last minute because they believe they work best under pressure. Then there are those that avoid making a decision for fear of being judged. And finally, those that are indecisive. They’re afraid they won’t make the right decision or aren’t knowledgeable enough to get it done. Do you see yourself in any of these? I’m in the 2nd category (although I’m releasing that fear of judgement more and more every day).
Whatever category you fall in, there is a real possibility it’s affecting your mental and physical health! Constantly delaying what you know must be done is causing you undo stress, anxiety, and could even lead to depression. And the physical symptoms are just as bad. Studies show chronic headaches, loss of sleep, and a higher susceptibility of getting sick. (That’s the last thing we need right now!)
And as mid-life women, it feels like time is ticking faster and faster. Instead of getting overwhelmed by everything we’ve been putting off and letting our mind come up with some really creative excuses, let’s make a pact to make it as easy on ourselves as possible. Let’s make ourselves proud when we see exactly what we are capable of. Deal?
Here are 10 steps to get you busting out of procrastination mode and into getting more shit done in record time.
- Brain Dump – It’s time to get everything out of your head and onto a sheet of paper. That way your mind can rest and you stop worrying about what you will forget. If everything you have to do is keeping you up at night, sometimes this step alone will give you a great night’s sleep.
- Prioritize – Review your list and decide what is the most important or the most time sensitive. Actually number your list with one being the most important on down the line.
- Break down your task into small chunks – If the project is big or you are intimidated by it, break it down. List out the individual steps you will need to complete in order to scratch it off your list.
- Set deadlines – Now that you know your priorities and have broken down your tasks into smaller chunks, set some deadlines. Give yourself a time limit or set a date on your calendar of when you will have each item completed.
- Limit your distractions – Turn off the ringer on your phone. Flip it upside down so you don’t see the notifications. Find a quiet, uninterrupted space to work. Have a glass of water and a healthy snack available. Don’t give yourself a reason to get up. Set a timer if you need to. It’s time to FOCUS.
- Find some accountability – Explain to a trusted friend how important this is to you, and ask them to hold you accountable. Another option is to make a post in a private Facebook group of like minded women asking for some accountability. There’s a very good chance someone else in the group would like some accountability in return. Midife Reignited would be a great option. 😉
- Don’t over complicate it – Find the path of least resistance and go! Don’t make it any harder than it needs to be. Don’t let your perfectionism go into overdrive. Take imperfect action.
- Don’t overthink it – Quit stressing! So many times we work it up to be a much bigger deal than it really is. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve put off cleaning out the refrigerator thinking I just didn’t have the time, only to realize it took less than 10 minutes.
- Work with your internal clock – All my life I’ve heard things like the early bird gets the worm or the most successful people are up before the sunrise. I’ve tried it, but it’s just not my jam. I’m not even cool enough to be a night owl. My most productive time is between 4 and 6 PM. I’ve finally stopped fighting it and made it work for me. Find what works for you and use it to your advantage.
- Celebrate small wins – Perhaps my favorite. Have something to look forward to. Give yourself a small prize for each task if you need to. I have used things like watching my favorite tv show in the evening, enjoying a bubble bath, taking a 20 minute nap, going out to dinner, or buying a new cozy sweater. Yep…I totally bribe myself to finish what I have been putting off, and IT WORKS! I’m totally dreaming about the new purse I’m going to buy after I get all the taxes finished. LOL
Is there one step that resonates with you the most? I’d love to hear what it is! For me, it’s a combination of limiting distractions, setting deadlines, and celebrating the heck out of each small win.
If you find yourself in the loop of wanting something different in your life, procrastinating because it feels too hard to accomplish, and then getting down on yourself for yet again not achieving what you set out to do, I can help!
It’s kind of my specialty! The first step is to stop the mindless social media scroll and reach out to me. Together we can come up with a plan that best meets your needs whether that is enrolling in my online group program, The Third Quarter Transformation, or signing up to receive private 1:1 coaching if you need a little extra support and guidance. Book a no pressure, complimentary 30 minute call with me so we can chat about your options ranging anywhere from a one time session to a 6 month coaching package. Let me help you stop procrastinating what you really want and get back to living.